The most important thing to know about spaying and neutering your pet is that it saves lives. It is one of the greatest gifts you can provide your pet, your family, and your community.
- Did you know that one female cat can begin breeding as young as 4 months old? If she is left unaltered she and her offspring can produce 370,00 cats in only 7 years! And by eight years that number is over 2 million! See chart above.
- One unaltered female dog and her off-spring can produce 67,000 dogs in only 6 years!!
- Spay/neuter improves your pet’s health, reducing or eliminating the risk of certain cancers and other diseases.
- It can also add years to your pet’s life.
- Spay/neuter can result in some behavior changes---for the better. Altered pets are often less aggressive, more relaxed, and even more affectionate.
- The costs varies, but spay/neuter is a one-time cost. What a bargain considering what it costs to care for a litter.
- Spay/neuter directly impacts the number of animals that lose their lives in the shelters and on the streets.
CARA has an active low cost spay / neuter program for residents in the community who need financial assistance to perform this necessary function for their pets. Local residents who are on Medicare, Medicaid, V.A. Disability, Social Security Disability or Retirement, Unemployment Benefits or Food Stamps qualify for assistance, as do other residents who can demonstrate financial need.
In partnership with approximately 46 local veterinarians, CARA offers spay / neuter vouchers for the following prices:
- $40.00 (male cat)
- $50.00 (female cat or male dog)
- $60.00 (female dog less than 40 pounds)
- $70.00 (female dog over 40 pounds)
For more information on spay/neuter vouchers please contact CARA and also read about our part in SNIP (Spay Neuter Initiative Partnership) a newly formed partnership.